Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Very quick bento...

Tomorrow's bento was what I planned on making for dinner tonight but when I got home from the gym I was too tired to cook so just made a sandwich and made this later on.

Even though I had to cook this bento it still took no time at all. The two left hand side boxes are diced beef with courgette, mushroom and red capsicum, stir fried in some teriyaki sauce and then I decided to throw on some of the yaki soba sauce I got at Kobe ya in Christchurch at last week. So that probably took 5 minutes tops. I didn't really want to have the same thing in two boxes but it is only 100grams of beef so I figured might as well have it all.

While that was cooking I put together the salad and then took the rice out of the freezer and put it on top of the parsley. The rice is actually still frozen - when I made my last bento I made a few extra shaped rice stars and bears and put them in freezer bags so I can just take them out as I need them rather than having to shape them all the time. The rice has furikake that Yaeko brought me from Japan on top.

On top of the stir fry (which I'll heat up at work because the boxes come out) is cut out takuan using the cutters that Sarah got me for my birthday but I hadn't used yet. Can't wait to get some more nori punches so I can make better faces, but I think the eyes are quite cute anyway.

The bottom right box has salad with some fresh pineapple on top. I had planned to have one box of just the pineapple but there wasn't enough for a whole box so I ate the big bits and put the small bits on the salad.

I'm really looking forward to my Japan trip (nine weeks this Friday!!!) because I think this bento would look better in a round box where I could maybe group the colours better - I feel like it is a whole mix of red, yellow and and green whereas in a round box I'd be able to arrange it better - so, lots of bento buying when I go!

3 comments:

  1. Wow this bento looks great. I want your lunch. I still haven't gotten one of these bento boxes, one day I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, take me with you!!! :) One day we should all meet up in Japan and go on a bento buying spree! Beautiful bento and I love their eyes! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!
    This is the link Marisa for where I got it - http://tinyurl.com/28cen32 It was really yum. I actually put some of the furikake on the salad too and that was so yum!
    Susan that's a great idea! And hopefully I'll get to Hawaii eventually too (I've been to Honolulu airport at 2am when I was 14, but that's all!) - we might both live in islands in the pacific but I think yours is a few steps up!

    ReplyDelete