Saturday, May 29, 2010

Clean cupboards and cake pops!

I've been pretty busy lately so haven't had time to bento.  I'm still getting lots of hits however so wanted to at least post something even if it wasn't a bento!

So, today's post is my new tidy cupboards and cake pops.  I know that tidying the cupboard isn't normally the kind of thing you'd post about on a blog but it is actually related to bento!  One of the bento ladies (but I can't remember who) posted picks of re-doing her fridge so all the bento stuff was in easy pull out containers.  I thought that was a great idea and once I'd done the bento stuff I thought I'd do the rest.  Now I have all my baking stuff, sauces, Japanese stuff in separate containers so I can just pull them out depending on what I am making!  Maybe I need to get out more...

My bento stuff in two containers


My pantry sorted into pull out containers.


Tonight I have a birthday dinner for two friends so I'm making cake pops.  I got the idea from Bakerella

Not sure why the pics are so blurry, but I used canned icing because that's what the recipe said to do.  I've never used it before and the idea weirded me out, but it tasted ok.

First I got three cakes from Woolworths and broke them up in a bowl.


This is the frosting I got from New World.


Then I realised the bowl wasn't big enough so mixed it into a bigger one.


But I had used too much icing so mixed in the third cake.


In the fridge.  I didn't need to freeze them as long as I was expecting (maybe half an hour) but when I was dipping them I had to put them back into the freezer halfway through because they softened up too much.
 

Making some progress...  I dipped them into a huge block of Whittaker's dark chocolate melted with about a quarter of a packet of milk chocolate buttons from Woolworths.


The pink chocolate is Wilton candy melts.  Not sure why they don't call it chocolate melts? It's chocolate! Maybe an american thing?  It didn't melt very well at all so I only used it on a couple.


These are the finnished ones.  I bought three bags of bags in "size one" and only one (ten in a bag) in "size two".  So I had to put two to a bag in the bigger size bags. 



I have noticed quite a few hits from Lower Hutt on here so if you are in the Hutt and want to sell your house or buy another then go see my mum and dad!  (the two at the top).  This is my mum and my dad.

All the pops


The finished pops!




4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for making these for our birthdays!! They were so delicious and looked so lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow YUM!!... I love to cook! (grew up with a father who was a baker then a chef)

    My kids and friends would LOVE these, they look great and would make a cool gift idea!!

    For a more "adult" version you could put liquer in the cake/icing mix" like kahlua or cointreau!! After dipping in melted chocolate, roll in finely chopped hazelnuts! *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! They were so yum! I'm def going to try adding something a bit stronger next time too - just after I made them I read that someone had done that. I'm on a diet for a holiday in a couple of weeks, but once I am back (or probably after loosing my extra holiday weight!) then I'm going to make some more.

    ReplyDelete