Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Five minute bento becomes one hour bentos!

I just got back from Dannevirke and the Four Square down the road was still open, so I thought I might as well get some stuff and make a bento to eat on the plane tomorrow night otherwise it'd be quite late that I'd get to have dinner.  Then, I figured I might as well make one for lunch tomorrow too.  I figured what I was going to make was basically just assembling stuff so it'd only take five or ten minutes.  Yeah, an hour later... But at least I have two bentos and am getting better at making tamagoyaki.

I also loved the idea Susan had of stamping the bun things she made, so I thought it would be a great idea to use my hanko (name stamp) to stamp the gyoza.  It didn't really work, and now my fingers are all red! But, at least I know it doesnt work on gyoza, so it wasn't a wasted effort if you look at it positively!

So this bento is for my lunch tomorrow.  It has half a mandarin, some kiwi fruit, cherry tomatoes, star and bear shaped rice with furikake, a gyoza and tamagoyaki with ham and nori. 


This bento is for dinner which I'll eat on the plane to Christchurch. It's the same as lunch but a whole mandarin, and three gryoza.  While making these I had a great idea to save taking gyoza sauce, I would just add some of the gyoza dipping sauce to the water when I cooked the gyoza.  The side of the gyoza you can't see is kind of a sticky black mess, I guess from the sugar that I didn't realise was in the sauce.  But again, at least I know not to try it again!

2 comments:

  1. Great bentos Nichola!!! :) With the steamed buns I had to stamp it after it was cooked because the steam made it runny. Maybe if you stamped the gyoza after it was cooked it would work better? It's always trial and error for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Susan - I didn't realise I didn't reply! That totally makes sense to stamp them when cooled. Will def try that next time. At least I know what doesn't work now though!

    ReplyDelete