Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rice cooker risotto

I'm doing a Massey paper in occupational health and safety at the moment - this week is the final three day block of classes and today we finished a little earlier.  Because it's in town I got home really fast so had just over an hour before I went to RPM so I thought I might as well make dinner first. 

I had quite a few vegetables so decided I would try making a vegetable rice risotto in my rice cooker (background to this is I used to have a Wishbone risotto almost everyday because they are quite low in weight watchers points, but they changed the recipe and now they are really high in points!! agh!!  When I say I used to have one almost everyday, I mean like 9 days out of 10 so it's really thrown me and I've had to start thinking of other stuff to have for lunch.  It's hard!). 

Anyway, back to this post!  So, I rinsed the rice (3/4 cup uncooked) then put it in the rice cooker with enough chicken stock to cover it (a bit more than you would using water the normal way).  Then while that started cooking, I sauteed an onion (with a little water, no oil), then mushrooms.  That went in the rice cooker with celery, courgette, broccoli and cauliflower.  I just put them in as I chopped them, rather than all at once.  I put in maybe a teaspoon of that mashed up garlic stuff in a tube and then garlic salt and salt and pepper.  I just kept adding more stock as it got down a bit, and stirred it every now and then.  I added some frozen peas and corn mix near the end because I thought it needed a more colour.

It actually burnt a little on the bottom near the end because I thought it didn't need much stirring so I'd left it.  I just mixed the burnt bits in and it was fine.  When I wasn't stirring the lid was on the cooker.  When it looked about done I took the bowl part out of the cooker because I didn't want it to burn more.  I added more stock after I took the bowl out because I was worried that when I reheat it for lunch tomorrow it will be too dry.  I'm not exactly sure how much of the stock I used all up because I can't see in the container, but I am guessing maybe about 3/4 of a litre or 800mls-ish. 

This was soooooo yum. Seriously.  I'm wondering what is in that garlic salt because I used it on the chicken in my last post and that was delicious too.

This made a huge amount (I guess because so much stock and lots of vegetables) and it worked out at 4.5 weight watchers points!  I think it would be really nice with some pine nuts through it too, but was great like this. 

This is the stock I used, and the amazing garlic salt.  It looks a bit watery in this photo, but this was before I reheated it and some of it evaporated out and stirred through.

2 comments:

  1. You should use salt reduced stock...I know how high your blood pressure is normally and that cant be helping... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost bought it but it was higher calories so I went for this one. I guess they have to make up for no taste. At least it's healthier than takeaways five nights in a week...

    ReplyDelete