Saturday, April 23, 2011

My first ever banana cake!

Sarah and I went out Thursday night so I slept in for awhile yesterday morning.  When I woke up Andrew had tidied the house so when he asked for a banana cake I couldn't say no!

I've never made one before and the last time I saw one was when Andrew's friend Julia made one.  I didn't try any because I was above my goal weight and sticking to my points but it looked delicious so I texted her for the recipe which she emailed through.  Andrew bought a new Samsung galaxy tab in Sydney last week so I used that instead of printing off the recipe.  V cool!!

The recipe is:
Ingredients


½ cup milk
2 eggs
1¼ cups sugar
2 sliced bananas
1t vanilla essence
100g butter













2 cups Flour
1t baking soda
1t baking powder
½t salt

Method
(1) Place first ingredients in food processor and process until smooth.


(2) Mix the remaining ingredients together in a bowl.
(3) Pour the ingredients from the processor over dry ingredients and mix well.

(4) Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes.
(5) Leave in tin for 5-10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to fully cool.

My oven is a bit dodgy with cakes so after 45 minutes it didn't seem cooked inside but it was browning on top so I put some grease proof paper over the top and put it back in for five minutes.  After five minutes it still seemed like the batter inside so I turned it up and put it on fan bake.  After that five minutes was up I thought maybe it firms up on cooling or something because it still seemed really moist inside.  Also by then I had too many holes from using the chopstick to check!



I made the mistake of leaving it too long on the wire rack after I iced it, so when I lifted it onto the cake stand the icing cracked a bit.  The icing also sunk into the chopstick holes but I figured that will just add extra taste. 

We didn't end up eating it last night, so had it for breakfast this morning! Yum!
The only thing is the cracks in the icing is more noticeable in day light :( 



This shows how the chocolate dropped through - extra taste!  The cake was delicious!



This was a super easy cake to make.  I've been a bit scared to use my food processor - the only time I've used it was to blend spinach for chicken saag and it was such a mess to clean that I've been put off it.  This was really easy though - it would've taken no time at all if I hadn't been taking the photos.


Last weekend we went to Sydney - this is Andrew's shot of us in front of the Sydney harbour bridge...

He managed to get the Opera House in though.



These birds came and joined us for lunch - one pretty much sat on my head!


No comments:

Post a Comment